Wednesday 21 March 2007

So Long, Farewell

Well perhaps I exaggerated slightly, let me explain.

September I believe it was, my band Dirty Cherry were still searching for a second guitarist, me, being such an avid fan of the popular myspace, saw this same girl keep popping up over and over, everyone knew her in the 'sleaze scene', or had seen her, she's got a face for fame.
She is the kind of girl you meet, or even if you glanced at her across a crowded room, SHE would stand out above everyone else, not only in looks but personality, she will be famous, I don't know, but with some people you can just tell.
Her name's Alicia, probably more commonly known as Miss Scarlet Viper, formally of Maeven, (as of last month anyway) so knowing she was already in another band and me being me, I messaged her, I believe it was along the lines of...

"Hey,
I know you're in a band already, but my band are looking for another guitarist and I was just wondering if you would be interested.


X"

I didn't really think much of it, I knew she had the look we wanted, and to say she was perfect really wouldn't do it justice, so you could say I waited for a response, but then again I didn't, already knowing that she was in another band, that and the fact she lives in Sheffield, what a good 4 hours away? Surely she wouldn't be interested.
In all honesty I was kind of surprised when she replied, not only did she reply but she said she was interested, finally a pipe dream that me and my best friend have had for nearly 5 years was actually coming into place. Not only did she reply, not only did she say she was interested, but the amount of personality that came across in the one message blew me away.

We talked and she explained that she was going away to America for 6 weeks on tour with her band, a slight setback I guess I saw it as, but we had more of the puzzle fitting together than we had done previously.

The first time we met, she came to London for New Years Eve, guitar in toe obviously, but due to the amount of alcohol consumed we never practice, poor excuse I guess, it didn't matter though, we got to meet, AND we got along, bonus!

Months past and we still barely saw each other, but we talked every other day at least. We all began writing seriously and Alicia asked a friend of hers, who was also in a band, to drum for us, we call her Tristen, which is her birth name, but insults will do as well.

Let me get back on track.....Fast forward to the beginning of February, Alicia decides she's moving to LA to go to the Music Institute, jaw dropping, she also leaves her original band, so on the 3rd, the four other members of Dirty Cherry, including myself, get in my car and we make the 2 hour (if you don't get lost) journey to Nottingham, to witness Alicias last gig with Maeven.

Again I'll fast forward, this time to today, Alicia is leaving tomorrow, she'll board her plane and arrive at roughly 5pm Californian time.
As soon as she told me, I cried, I'm not sure why, I think it could be one of many reasons, reality set in you could say, I won't see her for at least 3 months, even though I don't often see her, not nearly as often as I would like to anyways, there's something comforting in knowing that one of your best friends is ONLY 4 hours away, and in the short time I have known her, I love her, she's one of my best friends, she's one of those people that have your back and that you can trust with all your little secrets as well as laugh at each other about the stupid things over a alcoholic based drink and a menthol ciggerette, y'know? Another reason I cried, is, as embarrassed as it makes me, I'm jealous, she's going out to this great place, and she is living the dream, and fucking good on her, when do you get the chance to do something that you really, really want to do? Probably the final reason as to why I cried, I'm happy for her, she really deserves this.

For 3 months during the summer, we will go and join her, and I for one cannot wait.

Alicia, still a member of Dirty Cherry, we will work this out, even if we have to die trying.

No comments: